Thursday, February 23, 2006

Peeps, Pipes or Peppies


Samuel Pepys, the writer known for his colorful, voluminous diary, kept from 1660 to 1669, was born on this day in 1633 in London. He died there on May 26, 1703.

Pepys' diary, which was written in coded shorthand and not meant for publication, was not discovered or published until 1825.

"Many times, at a fashionable literary dinner party, I have been tempted to discuss the Pepys diaries, but I have always been uncertain as to the proper pronunciation of his name. For example, if you said 'Peeps' the lady on your left would invariably say, 'Pardon me, but don't you mean Pipes?' And the partner on your right would say, I'm sorry, but you're both wrong. It's Peppies.' If Peeps, Pipes or Peppies had been smart enough to pick a name like Joe Blow, every schoolboy in America would be reading his diaries today instead of being out in the streets stealing hub caps." -- Groucho Marx.

Categories:

2 Comments:

Blogger H. said...

Yes, Pepys would have been much better to have taken a sensible name, like Groucho...

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another great Groucho quote:

"Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What he was doing in my pajamas I'll never know."

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home