Wednesday, December 14, 2005

You say Martooni, I say Martini


Some of my friends warned me that I was biting off more olive than I could chew by taking on the rhetorically gifted Judge Bork with regard to mixological activism and the Martini (see my previous post, "The Martini, and the Understanding of the Framers"). Just as I was girding myself for a nasty letter from the Hudson Institute, however, I suddenly come to find that I have some fellow with the presumptuous moniker of "Dr. Cocktail" on my tail -- who claims (see his comment at Martini Republic) that I was "a trifle disingenuous" in my assertion of the authenticity of an olive-garnished Martini at the expense of the Martini garnished with a twist of lemon.

Okay, now, in the sentence above I was being a trifle disingenuous in my haste to dismiss Dr. Cocktail. I have long known of Dr. Cocktail, and have admired his fascinating website, CocktailDB. Indeed, although he probably won't remember it, I have actually corresponded with Dr. Cocktail regarding some trivial matter concerning chamomile grappa.

Nonetheless, I am buoyed by the support of other Martini enthusiasts, including Lonnie Bruner of DC Drinks (who additionally wishes to point out, in case you were thinking of it, that vodka does not belong in a Martini) and certified mixologist Steven Soto of Newport Beach, California, who concurs with the purity and appropriateness of the olive, helpfully confessing: "My style of adding the vermouth is a squirt in the shaker, swish it, toss it in the sink, then continue making the martini."

It may be years before this issue can be settled, and I will certainly be the first to volunteer my palate to the cause.

In the meantime, Dr. Cocktail, in response to your comment -- I just want to point out to you that John Adams was one of the signatories of the Olive Branch Petition of 1775, which indicates an early predilection for the olive. Even if it is true that he later repudiated the little green dupe, I guess I'm wondering why I should even consider the opinion of a Founding Father whose favorite drink was Madeira wine. I'll stick with Mr. Embury, thank you very much -- an excellent lawyer as well as an excellent bartender.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Wicketywack said...

Actually, my partner, Isaac Washington, was the one with the recent post on the Martini. It's a subject that we'll both try and clarify our stance on in the coming months.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home